Island Resources Foundation
Island Resources Foundation was founded in the U.S. Virgin Islands in 1972, dedicated to the premise that islands are special places, with particularly fragile environments and exceptionally vulnerable development options. Our primary geographic focus for over three decades has been the insular Caribbean , and our central mission has been to assist small islands to meet the challenges of social, economic and institutional growth while protecting and enhancing their environments.
The Foundation has contributed to a considerable body of island-specific information and programs that recognize the uniqueness of island conditions, the vulnerabilities of island environments, and the special qualities of island life.
Four program areas comprise the experience base of the Foundation:
- Environmental Policy and Law
- Environmental Planning, Sustainable Development and Impact Assessment
- Resource Protection and Biodiversity Conservation
- Institutional Development and Environmental Information
Since 2009, a major program thrust of Island Resources Foundation has been the detailed characterization of environmental conditions in the major islands of the British Virgin Islands. The result is a series of island environmental profiles for the major islands of the BVIs, which are modeled on the 8 country environmental profiles that we produced for USAID and UNDP in the 1990's.
See the links at IRF Policy Publications for a detailed list of currently available environmental profiles and related papers, including especially the recent profiles for:
- Jost van Dyke Environmental Profile,
- Virgin Gorda Environmental Profile,
- Anegada Environmental Profile ,and
- Tortola Environmental Profile.
We are currently fund raising for support for publishing and distributing the final and most complex profile in the British Virgin Islands sequence (Tortola-Beef Island and the many adjacent cays, from Scrub Island to Norman Island) that we will be finishing up in early 2015. We urge and request you to contribute to the Foundation's environmental profile efforts at the secure JustGive web site; it will be easier to go direct to the Island Resources Foundation donation page if you use the Foundation's Federal Employer's Identification Number (EIN) of 23-7133516, at the top of each JustGive web page.
- IF you prefer not to go on-line, just mail a check to the Foundation's DC office at 1718 P Street NW, Suite T-4, Washington, DC 20036. OR, call Judith Towle at (202) 265-9712 to arrange for some other form of payment. . . . and thanks a lot.